Ankylosing spondylitis. Not a well-known back
pain condition you hear about every day, but it is a
condition that merits gentle, relieving treatment by an
experienced chiropractor like your Manchester
chiropractor at Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries. Chiropractic care of ankylosing
spondylitis (AS) is helpful for many such patients, and Cox®
Technic is a very gentle treatment approach Manchester
ankylosing spondylitis patients appreciate.
WHAT IS ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS?
Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic inflammatory rheumatic
disease affecting most usually
the spine and sacroiliac joints. Early treatment when AS is active
may assist in maintaining some flexibility in the spine and reduce
any resulting hyperkyphosis of the cervicothoracic spine
and/or rigidity of the thoracolumbar, lumbosacral and sacroiliac spine that may
arise and preclude doing required
activities of daily living. There are mainly
two forms: active and inactive. Active is the development phase of AS while
inactive is the post-development phase of AS. Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries manages both types with fellow healthcare colleagues to the
benefit of the AS patient.
WHAT HELPS MANAGE ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS?
Cooperation and coordination is beneficial
for patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Chiropractors, rheumatologists,
primary care physicians, physical therapists, etc., are all key
in the management of ankylosing spondylitis. The first step is diagnosing
ankylosing spondylitis. Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries knows the signs: back
pain with more than 1 of 3 features
(HLA-B27 positivity, current inflammatory back pain, or x-ray/MRI evidence of
sacroiliitis). 37% of ankylosing spondylitis is diagnosed by a rheumatologist while the other 63% is diagnosed by other practitioners like your Manchester chiropractor. (1) Rheumatologists document the benefits of a new approach to try:
nanocurcumin. It’s known that T-helper 17 cells are
found at higher amounts in ankylosing spondylitis patients. Nanocurcumin
is surfacing as a new approach to control
the T-helper 17 cells as it is an anti-inflammatory compound described as
improving some clinical symptoms of ankylosing
spondylitis. (2) Combining chiropractic manipulation and
rehabilitation with care of a rheumatologist is positive
for inactive ankylosing spondylitis patients in a new study. Cox®
flexion distraction was one of the chiropractic approaches to treating ankylosing spondylitis patients that helped. Patients also were instructed
to do home stretches and rehabilitation exercises. They experienced
some relief of the symptoms, reduced pain and improved
ability to perform activities of daily living. (3) Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries offers
gentle, stretching Manchester chiropractic care with Cox® Technic
spinal manipulation. Manchester AS patients say it feels good to
their stiff spines. And a little good goes a long way!
CONTACT Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries
Listen to this PODCAST
with Dr. Gabriel Monterrubio, a chiropractor practicing in Mexico, on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael
Johnson as he describes his care and relieving success for several ankylosing spondylitis patients - including
a diver who continues diving today – utilizing
Cox® Technic and exercise in the treatment plan.
Schedule a Manchester chiropractic appointment at Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries
for yourself or a friend who has ankylosing spondylitis. Uncommon?
Yes. Unmanageable? No. Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries is here to help.