The Role of Insurance Coverage in the Manchester Back Surgery or Non-Surgical Care Choice

“Back surgery is one of the most overused types of surgery as well as the most common ailment that sends patients to doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists,” conveys Crain’s Detroit Business magazine’s article titled Health Insurers Look for Ways to Cut Costs with Back Surgery. What a way to open an article! It goes on:

  • $90 billion on low back pain alone a year
  • 1.2 million spinal surgeries annually
  • $60,000 to $110,000 per lumbar fusion surgery (the fastest-growing type of surgery in the past decade)

The back surgery failure rate, the so-called “failed back syndrome” or the more “politically correct” term “post-surgical continued pain syndrome,” is as high as 50%. (1) With healthcare spending in the US exceeding $3.5 trillion - $10,739 per person – it is no wonder that insurers look for another way to cut costs, especially when one-third of the money goes to hospital care of chronic illnesses. (2) Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries is well-trained and knowledgeable in offering non-hospital-based care to help Manchester back pain – chronic and acute – patients find relief of and handle their back pain – and post-surgical continued back pain - without surgery.

LOW BACK PAIN FACTS

Low back pain is the leading cause of years lived with disability globally. Today, recommendations for low back pain relief care discourage pain medications, steroid injections and spine surgery and encourage physical therapy and psychological therapy. Healthcare systems tend to struggle with these new approaches. Why? Pharmaceutical companies’ financial interests, old payment systems that favor medical care, outdated traditions, and legal, personal, political, and societal beliefs of us all. These concepts are presented in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, believe it or not. (3) Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries reads this with interest.

BACK SURGERY CHOICE

Considering these facts, it’s not hard to believe that some back pain sufferers will decide on back surgery over non-surgical care of their back pain. “Patients go where insurance pays, even if it is surgery.” In one study, back pain sufferers made the choice to visit a primary care physician (PCP) or physical therapist (PT) or chiropractor first because of their health plan type, co-payment, and deductible. Modifying these things to make them more valuable/less expensive/less restrictive as to provider type might well encourage low back pain sufferers to choose non-hospital, conservative treatment rather than back surgery. (4) Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries is all for this! Less than 1% of back pain sufferers require back surgery. (5) Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries is ready to assist the remaining 99% of the Manchester back pain sufferers manage their back pain and adapt their lifestyles to live with the spine they have and cope with its episodes of pain and relief.

RECURRENT BACK PAIN

Manchester back pain sufferers are in good company if their back pain returns. It happens. It’s controllable. It’s manageable. Some facts first: Within a year of recovery, 69% of patients had another episode of back pain of some sort. Awkward postures, long sitting times, and more than 2 prior back pain experiences spark the risk of back pain recurrence. (6) It is ok though. Really! Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries helps Manchester back pain patients find their way through these recurrences and deal with them so they don’t limit anyone’s enjoyment of life.  We have a treatment plan!

CONTACT Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries

Listen to Dr. Kimble Cater on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson discuss how he helped an expectant mother with her repeated episodes of back pain. Whether you’re pregnant or not, Manchester chiropractic care at Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries can help you deal with repeated episodes of back pain, too.

Schedule a Manchester chiropractic appointment at Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries for back pain relief. Our care is not overused!  The gentle, effective, evidence-based system of Cox® Technic seeks 50% relief within 4-6 weeks of care and often gets 70%, 80%, 90% and greater for many of our patients at less cost – in terms of finances and lifestyle – than back surgery.

Manchester Chiropractic & Sports Injuries realizes that back pain sufferers may choose their back pain treatment option based on insurance coverage. If insurance pays for back surgery, will you choose that?  
 
« View All Featured Articles
"This information and website content is not intended to diagnose, guarantee results, or recommend specific treatment or activity. It is designed to educate and inform only. Please consult your physician for a thorough examination leading to a diagnosis and well-planned treatment strategy. See more details on the DISCLAIMER page."